Monday, May 12, 2008

CATALINA!!!!!

WARNING!! THIS IS A LONG POST!!! We fundraised and fundraised to raise enough money to take some of our students to Catalina Island for a Marine Biology/Leadership Camp. Wow, was it an adventure! We started out on a Tuesday morning in a 12 passenger van, a suburban and 2 cars all heading to Malibu Creek where we would camp for the night to catch our boat the next day. We got to our campsite and started setting up camp! What a beautiful place it was.....so green and serene!

Some of our boys getting settled into camp and joking around!


Setting up camp (we practiced ahead of time)


Harold and some of the boyz

So once we got settled in we took the kids to Santa Monica Pier to let the kids play on the beach and walk along the pier. Some of the kids had never been to the ocean so that explains why they would ever get in such COLD water!!


Representing our Copper Square High School even in Cali!


Some of our kiddos posin' on the pier


All the ladies cheesin' for the camera!

So after a fun filled evening at the beacch and pier we headed to good ol' McDonald's and ordered food for 17 teenagers and 7 hungry adults! We sure invaded the McDonald's, but the kids had a great time and so did we. We headed back to camp and some of the girls realized that they didn't zip their tents up when we left so they had some fun eight legged visitors. Needless to say, they freaked out and some of the girls had to sleep in the cars or another girl tent. The big kicker was that one of our staff found one of our boys in the bathroom getting high! Okay so I might have totally freaked out because I just couldn't believe that he had the nerve. He actually had the nerve to say, "I only took one hit so I could go to sleep. It's not a big deal. You guys are just over reacting." I promptly yelled, "Are you smoking crack too because you are crazy!!!!" Our principal got on the phone and got his parents to book him a plane ticket home the very next morning. We would drop him off before we boarded the boat....lame-o....seriously, what was he thinking? We got rid of his stash and him as well. We do work with "at-risk" kids, but we were very picky about who went, but needless to say, that was the only problem and it was better that it happened that night than when we were on the island because the camp would have sent us home!! So we got up early, packed up and got to the boat dock. Boy, did we have the ride of our lives ahead of us. I made sure that all the kids had dramamine but I didn't take it myself because I don't get seasick.....YEAH RIGHT! I got so sea sick.....most everyone on the boat did. They said the waters were rougher than they had seen them in a long time....just my luck. Unfortunately, my uneasy stomach lasted for the boat ride into the next day. I guess I got some stomach flu because something was trying to get out of my body any way it could!!! Not an ideal situation for camping! I recovered and still was able to enjoy the time with my students. After planning every detail and making all the arrangements and heading up the fundraising, I was determined to enjoy the trip! It was a really neat experience...spiritual in a way. We snorkeled, kayaked, played, hiked and learned. We had a "trust walk" one night where the kids were blindfolded and had put their hands on eachothers' shoulders. The guide would whisper to the person behind them to duck or step up while they walked through the wilderness. It went on for a good fiffteen minutes. At the end we had a great discussion about being a leader and a follower and which is easiest. We talked under the stars about how we are given a light in this world and He will always guide us if we trust in Him. Being away from our normal environment, we were able to reach the kids on a little bit more of a spiritual level. We also had an amazing campfire where each kid tossed a stick in the fire symbolizing them letting go of a fear and moving on. The kids had some pretty amazing and inspiring things to say. I just adore these kids. On the outside, they look so rough and tough, but past the facade are incredible young people who have had to endure more things in their 15-18 years than I have had to endure in my life. Many of them are the first to graduate in their families or the first not getting locked up. They are breakers of generational cycles and it is inspiring and humbling to work with and learn from them. There are some really hard days when I wonder why I am in education and why I don't just work at a "normal" school, but my thoughts were answered in those couple of days. They are worth it. I just love them. They have become my little family here in some ways. When I have a bad day, they are there for me too. With our school only being about 100 students and 5 teachers, we are a close little bunch. We made it back to Phoenix without any more sickness, but we were exhausted!! What a trip! The camp director and guides told us that our kids forever left imprints on their hearts! I have never been so proud of my students. I know that we sccared the camp people at first. There weren't any other high schools there, only elementary groups and our kids look rough around the edges! We are inner city! They represented themselves like champs and some might even go back and volunteer. They learned a lot about marine biology, conservation and themselves. It was amazing! Now, it's time to start fundraising for next year!!!!! We want to do 2 trips next year! It's so important that they are able to see that there is life beyond their neighborhoods, that there is so much more out there for them. These trips give them lasting memories and experiences that change their lives' courses. What an amazing blessing to be a part of that! Here are a couple more pictures of our trip!


Our humble tents....




Could there be a better view??


Those priceless smiles!


At the boat docks....


Some of our girlz enjoying the camp experience


Our staff with our guide


This is the game where they pretend arrested me....some kids play with cars and stuff like that...our boys like to pretend to arrest people....it's pretty funny...they placed me under citizen's arrest


All the students with our guide holding their picture of the "pumphelo"...some kind of animal they decided to create!

So that was our trip! It was so much fun and enlightening!Can't wait til next year!!

5 comments:

  1. sounds like an amazing trip & it sounds like you are an amazing teacher! your stories remind me of those movies "lean on me" & "dangerous minds" & I'm sure you are helping those kids out so much!

    I can't believe how pretty it is there, too. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like girls camp! Only I never saw anyone getting high. I'm glad you had such a good time. I wish I could have made it. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing trip! I love working with high school kids. Right now I teach elementary, but some day I'll get back to the high school. They sound like an amazing group of kids. I'll bet you were pulling on all your girl's camp experiences to help you put this together. Sounds like you're an amazing teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Erin!
    I stumbled upon your blog (long story) and was so happy to see what you're up to. It's been a long time since freshman year, but I'm hoping you haven't forgotten your Santa Barbara buddy, Krissie Steward. You can find my blog at http://visitthecookiejar@blogspot.com .
    Love ya,
    Krissie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow have you been busy! Looks like that was a very adventerous trip! I miss those days. So, I was on a Greg Olsen website and saw a pic I thought you would like. Made me think of your girlie. It's the one called "hand in hand" on the following website:

    http://gregolsengallery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=NEWART

    ReplyDelete