Tuesday, March 23, 2010

TORN.....

I was just reading my dear friend, Nicole's blog and it gave me the courage to be a bit more personal....I love that girl to pieces. We have been friends since I was 11 and my heart and prayers go out to her and her family. She is such an inspiration! I am never too personal on the blog...not sure why, but I am just not, but today I am going to be. I feel so torn in my life. I HAVE to work. Student loans don't magically pay themselves. I wish with all my heart that I could stay home with my little ones. I feel torn between my God-given role as a woman and the role society places on the woman....or should I say the multiple roles that society places on women. It just isn't fair! I just want to raise my kids and be there for all the important things. I know I shouldn't complain too much because I am able to take Niyah to work with me and I took Keiya to work with me until she was in preschool, but I just want to be a stay at home mom. I have been blessed to have so many breaks being a teacher and have a boss that is also one of my dearest friends. She allows me to leave early to be able to pick Keiya up from school so she doesn't have to go in after school care. There are a lot of blessings if I do HAVE to work, but still it isn't what I want. I feel torn because next year I am going to be Vice Principal of a new school that our school owner is building. It is exciting to be able to advance in my career, but unfortunately I would rather advance in my mom career. Our school owner frustrates me to no end. He doesn't value the people who work and sacrifice for his organization. He lets con artists come in and take advantage of him all because they promise him more money. Seriously, he is an example of letting greed get the best of you. The bottom line of the schools is numbers because numbers equal money. Sometimes I get frustrated being a part of an organization that will spend thousands of dollars on marketing and no money on books for the classrooms. There are times when I think that I have made a difference in some students' lives, but at the same time, I think, "At what cost?". With a new school being built, I feel like there are so many empty promises being made and that the new building is nothing but a facade for exploiting kids for the sake of money. At times, I get so angry to be a part of it, but I need a job and I have such flexibility. I am also gaining so much experience and learning so many valuable life lessons, but it is so frustrating. I wish I had money to start my own charter school. I have learned so many things to do and not to do from my experiences. I would love to do that! Who wouldn't want to be their own boss? Life is never what we expect! I just keep trying to see the positive in my situation and truck forward, but it doesn't change that I feel TORN!!!

9 comments:

  1. The education system needs more people like you, people who are truly willing to sacrifice to make learning better for students. I know it can seem overwhelming and pointless, but passion and commitment to reform does make a difference. And making that difference is the best gift you can give kids, including (and especially) your own. So don't feel like you're shortchanging them or yourself; you are teaching the in the best way - by example.
    Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erin! I hear ya! Why can't we just all have what our hearts desire?! I know it is all about growth, but sometimes I just want to throw my hands up and say, "haven't I learned enough?" I know it is all for our benefit, but sometimes it is tough to swollow the reality of the day to day struggles and trials that life brings us!
    I just want you to know that I think you are amazing! I am so proud of all the work that you do, and how hard you have worked to get where you are! You are an inspiration to me! I know what you do isn't easy, and I admire you for having the courage to do it! Most people would NOT be able to handle the aspect of just teaching the students you teach. But, you not only handle it, you have been a single mom while doing it, and are a mom of two now!! Seriously girly, you always amaze me!!
    Congrats on the VP promotion...you are going to be great!
    I will keep you in my prayers! Since I wrote my blog entry, I have felt the power and strength of prayer. I am grateful that I wrote, because I needed that extra strength. I am humbled at the response and support of my friends. I love you Erin! I hope you feel the love and support of your friends and family, and the amazing power of prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you started your own charter school I'd want my kids to attend!! I sometimes wish society was a little more backwards like when it was the norm was for moms to raise the kids rather than work, but then there wasn't much choice in the matter so that could be lame. Women have so many creative and wonderful gifts to share with the world and used to have to fight to do it. I wish we could have the best of everything, but it is an imperfect world. I am amazed by how much you do. You contribute so much to the world through your work, and being a mom, and just an awesome person! Congrats on the promotion - I hope everything turns out well for you and your family! Maybe with everything you learn you'll be able to start your own school one day and enroll your own kids in it. Love ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm starting to feel your pain, Erin. Knowing that I have to go back to work after having the baby is already tearing me a part. I want to be the best mom I can be, and I already feel like I'm set up for failure because I wont be able to devote as much time as I think is necessary. Unfortunately that's the world we live in and it requires us to make some awefully difficult decisions. Only you, Harold, and the Lord can figure out what's best for you and your family. Don't underestimate the power of prayer and the ability it has to draw your family closer together. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there Erin. Being a mom of two is not easy but you are not alone in this game any more. You have a wonderful husband to help you and I know you will find you way. I still have to work too but I have been blessed to do something I love. You have that same blessing but riding those ups and downs can totally suck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there. You are a great mom, I'm sure. Your daughters are sooooo cute:)

    Moshi, told me you wanted to view my blog. give me your email address and I'll send you an invite. lewiscarolyn@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...it stinks being an adult and trying to make the right decisions for our families. We are on the other end of things and think about work down the road. My degree will prob not help me and braces are looming in the not so distant future! But oh well...it all works out! My husband has had to sacrifice tons for our family so I could be home with the 4 little ones but we knew it would always be a financial struggle. We have moved a lot and had cheap cars. The blessings have far outweighed the sacrifices. I have a testimony of tithing and the blessings that come from it. It has all worked out and I know we're doing what is best for our family. Trust in the Lord and have faith and it will all work out for yours. (I know, it sounds easier than it really its:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erin, I would never trade a career for being home with my kids. It is so much harder than going to work. The work at home never ends and lots of time I get little thanks for what I do. There is always someone else out there to teach Jr. High Art, the job that I used to do. But no one else can be my kids' mom. I am sad for moms that can't stay home. We were poor for a long time, but I was there for the kids. We don't get to do a lot of extra things. Oh well. And student loans can be deferred for years without gaining interest because of "economic hardship." I know because that is what I did. Later we were blessed to pay them off all at once. It's all about faith. Love, Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay wow I just read that and that sounds kind of harsh. Sorry! I think that I need a nap! ;)

    ReplyDelete